Sunday 14 December 2014

Mombasa in pictures

I had the time of my life in Mombasa. I literally cannot find the words to describe it so I am posting pictures instead.  Enjoy 
The first thing I did after checking in was head to the beach and got myself a drink to celebrate my arrival in Mombasa. I, naturally, headed straight to the bar and ordered a cocktail. It has to be a Dawa. Dawa is medicine in Swahili and this cocktail was quite medicinal. Made of honey, lime and vodka. To this day, every time I get to any destination in East Africa I get a Dawa to celebrate.

The reason why i came to Mombasa, the Mombasa Tusks. These
two pairs of giant aluminum elephant tusks were commissioned in commemoration of a visit to Mombasa by Princess Margaret in 1956 (PS: I said the queen in the last post, Princess Marg was the right person). These tusks are so impressive!

Moi Avenue, the main road in Mombasa Town.

My tour guide in the Fort Jesus. This was built in the 1500's by Portuguese leader, King Philip the First.

This was the first Swahili door I laid my eyes on. I will do a blog on Swahili doors. They tell so much and are a common scene in Old Town Mombasa and other areas in the Swahili Coast.

Young girl in Mombasa. She is apparently mentally ill. This was the first time I met her. The third time I saw her in the Old Town she recognised me and started having small talk with me in my broken Swahili.


This is me in a Matatu going back to the hotel in Nyali, Reef. This was my first day in Mombasa and East Africa. I didnt know that men are not allowed to wear shorts that go above the knee. When I got in the matatu the gentleman behind me knew I was a Mzungu but that did not stop him from giving me the disapproval look.

Octopus at Tamarin restaurant in Reef. Very beautifully cooked. Was my first time having octopus.

This is my tour guide at the Ngomomgo Village. This is an eco-cultural tourist village in Mombasa created for tourists to find out about the tribes of Kenya. It was very informative and fun too.

Ngomongo Village


A Luo gentleman in Ngomomgo.

I bought this belt in the village. I dont know if the person selling it/ made it knew what they were making. I just had to have it! Beautiful.

My Tuk Tuk Driver and I in Reef. The coolest guy ever.

Kongowea Market in Mombasa. Easily one of the biggest markets in the area that feeds other smaller markets.


No comments:

Post a Comment